We get numerous inquiries relating to growing tropical crops in gardens which are prone to frost. It definitely is feasible to grow tropical plants, or tropical-searching vegetation, in frost inclined areas, as verified by many beautiful tropical gardens.
Not only are there tropical plants which can really manage frost, including some palms which can manage temperatures of up to -10 levels, but there are numerous things you can do to increase the general temperature in your garden by making a ‘micro-climate’, or to improve the temperature in 1 place, about a plant which wants it.
Green-, or glass houses, are a excellent way of growing tropicals in the cold as it retains humidity large and frost out. Xmas lights can be wrapped close to shrubs and trees to increase the air temperature, and brick pavements and partitions are identified to take in heat in the sunlight, and launch it when it will get cool, benefiting the crops close to it.
Frost usually settles from over, so a shade roof can be a excellent aid to keep frost off your vegetation. Mulch will assist maintain the floor insulated and warm.
Beneath are some examples of tropical crops that can deal with frost or cold.
Frost Hardy Plants
– Arenga engleri (Dwarf Sugar Palm) -10
– Butia capitata (Wine Palm / Jelly Palm) -ten
– Phoenix canariensis (Canary Island Date Palm) -ten
– Sabal slight (Dwarf Palmetto) -10
– Washingtonia robusta (Mexican Fan Palm) -5
– Cycas revoluta (Sago Palm) -5
– Zamia furfuracea (Cardboard Palm) -two
Foliage & flowering plants:
– Bauhinia variegata (Purple Orchid Tree) -5
– Doryanthes excelsa (Gymea Lily) -5
– Dracaena draco (Dragon’s Blood Tree) -10
– Myrciaria cauliflora (Jaboticaba) – 3
– Quisqualis indica (Rangoon Creeper) -one
– Xanthorrhoea johnsonii (Grass Tree) -4
– Agave bracteosa (Squid Agave) -9
– Agave filifera (Thread Agave) – nine
– Agave parryi (Parry’s Agave) -nine
– Agave victoria-reginae (Queen’s Agave) -nine
– Yucca’s aprox -four
Chilly Hardy Plants
– Beccariophoenix madagascariensis (Window Pane Palm) 0ºC
– Caryota mitis (Clustering Fishtail Palm) 0ºC
– Chambeyronia macrocarpa (Flamethrower Palm + Blonde Flamethrower Palm) 0ºC
– Dypsis decaryi (Triangle Palm) 0ºC
– Dypsis fakey (Fakey Palm) 0ºC
– Dypsis leptocheilos (Red Neck Palm / Teddybear Palm) 0ºC
– Dypsis lutescens (Golden Cane) 0ºC
– Dypsis Pink Crown (Pink Crown Palm) 0ºC
– Hyophorbe lagenicaulis (Bottle Palm) 0ºC
– Hyophorbe verschaffeltii (Spindle Palm) 0ºC
– Phoenix roebelenii (Dwarf Day Palm) 0ºC
– Lampranthus (Ice Plant) (0ºC – greatest safeguarded if for a lengthy time period of time)
– Markhamia lutea (Yellow Nile Tulip Tree) 0ºC
– Pandorea Girl Di (White Bower Vine) 0ºC
– Randia fitzalanii (Native Gardenia / Yellow Mangosteen) 0ºC
We advise you progressively modify young plants to your local weather. Do not all of a sudden expose them to wind, frost, salt, cold, sun etc.! If you think a single of the crops above is wrongly described, or you believe some of our other plants could be chilly or frost hardy, please permit us know!